Thursday, March 19, 2015

Barriers

Holding up barriers is hard & painful.

I imagine a person standing there trying to hold up a really heavy fence to protect himself but all they are really doing is hurting themselves. They're making their life so much harder by holding up that fence.

Because of Jesus and what he gives us (love, grace, mercy, acceptance, etc.), we don't have to do that. You don't have to be afraid of letting people in and getting hurt. We can trust that the Lord will protect us when we are doing His perfect will. 

I was riding in the car the other day & I heard the song "Suitcases" by Dara Maclean.

"How can you move when they're weighing you down?
What can you do when you're tied to the ground, yeah?
You carry your burdens heavy like gravity
Just let them go now, there's freedom in release

You can't run when you're holding suitcases
Yes, it's a new day, throw away your mistakes
And open up your heart, lay down your guard
You don't have to be afraid

Just breathe, your load can be lifted
There's a better way when you know you're forgiven
Open up your heart, lay down your guard
You don't have to be afraid"


Read more at http://www.songlyrics.com/dara-maclean/suitcases-lyrics/#1VlhrfBiviRWi5DM.99



This song reminds me that I don't have to be afraid. I can let those barriers down/drop those suitcases and live like the Lord has called me to. 

There are people in my life that have upset me. I don't have to be afraid of letting them in. I don't have to hold it that barrier because I know that the Lord will take care of me. He will give me what I need to be able to reach out to them. If I rely on Him as I go through the situation and listen to what He tells me, I will be fine.

On the other hand, if I choose to trust in myself and hold those barriers up and carry those suitcases, I will be exhausted. I will not be able to carry the load that the Lord has called me to and help the people that He has put into my life. I won't be able to do the good that He has called me to do. I won't be able to live out my faith.

Instead of holding onto those suitcases of hurt and anger and holding up those barriers to protect myself, I need to give them to Jesus. Let him carry them and take on his leading, which is easy and light (Matthew 11:28-30).

No comments:

Post a Comment