Thursday, February 26, 2015

Give up the ghost

There's a new song out called "Ghost" by Ella Henderson. 


The lyrics that really stood out to me were: 

"I keep going to the river to pray
Cause I need something that can wash out the pain
And at most
I'm sleeping all these demons away
But your ghost, the ghost of you
It keeps me awake

Each time that I think you go
I turn around and you're creeping in
And I let you under my skin
Cause I love living in the sin

Give up the ghost
Give up the ghost
Give us the ghost
Stop the haunting baby" 

I was listening to it the other day on the way to work. As I was listening... and singing like a crazy woman (anyone else do that?), it reminded men how we let things haunt us. I had a situation happen last year at work that bothers me to this day. Every time I think I'm over it, it pops back up in my mind. I think about it over and over again. And let those emotions just bubble up and over every time I think about it. In a sense, I am letting this situation continue to haunt me.

This song is about "someone or something that just has a hold over you, tormenting you, you're trying to run away from it, but you just can't. And I think a lot of people can relate in so many different ways." I love how God uses the everyday things, like a random song on the radio, to speak to us. It just goes to show how powerful and amazing He is! Anyways, I'm getting sidetracked here! Hearing this song made me realize that instead of letting this event that happened forever ago continue to haunt me, I should give this burden to the Lord and let him handle it. Just like in the song, I can't change any of the events that have already happened; all I can do is choose to give it up and move on. 

In Galatians 5:1 it says, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." As Galatians says, Christ came to set us free! Instead of being burdened and haunted by things that have happened in the past, we can stand firm in our belief in Him and the fact that our sins have been taken care of when we accept him into our hearts. We don't have to worry about the comment that was made at dinner last week or the coworker that irritated us today. We can rely on Him to take care of those issues and live in that freedom, knowing that He's already taken care of everything! 

If you want to post this in your house or office, you can find it here.

Lyrics and quote from Songfacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment