Friday, March 7, 2014

lent 2014

as of wednesday, lent has begun. 

i've never really been a huge fan of lent, and if i did it it, was only halfway because i didn't really get it. this year i just had an "ah-ha" moment and realized what i needed to do. lately life has been tough on me. it's hard because i like for things to be solved before i can move on. and when other people are involved, sometimes it's hard for things to be solved. 


so. that leads to what i am going to "give up" for lent. i've been convicted to give up all my anger and bitterness towards people who have hurt me. this will be tough because some of them are in my life daily. still messing with my life and hurting me. 


to do this, i know i need to stop being angry and bitter and keep my mouth shut. stop stirring the pot. focus on the positive. let the small things go. look at life from the correct perspective, God's perspective.


here's the scripture that just kept popping into my head over and over and over again. constantly. especially when i was irritated. 



29Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.
30And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption.
31Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior.
32Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.
Ephesians 4:29-32 {{NLT}}

these are big, huge commands!

it's kind of a funny story how i found these. i'm horrible at remembering the verses for scripture. i can quote it, but i can't tell you where it came from. like, ever. verse 29 is one of my favs, though, like i already mentioned, i never remember where it is. verse 31 is one that has popped into my head when i want to make certain comments or tell certain people what i think. i went to look up the verses and lo-and-behold, they were right there together. it's just funny to me how God works. 
i'm also in a small group and we are studying about spiritual warfare. the book that we're reading focuses heavily on Ephesians, which just hit home even more for me. pretty perfect. totally made my day. 

i have read these verses over and over and over again. they convict me so much. i know part of the reason why i am struggling so much is because i don't know to solve things with out letting them go. i'm not absolving the other parties involved of their part in the issue, i'm just saying i think i need to figure out how not to let it get to me as bad as it does. 

while my students were coming into my classroom yesterday morning,  i noticed this picture on my door:

this is what made everything come together and made me go on the hunt for those verses. funny how God orchestrates everything, huh?   

just in case your wondering, here's a good definition of what lent is:

a period of 40 days before Easter during which many Christians do not eat certain foods or do certain pleasurable activities as a way of remembering the suffering of Jesus Christ 
{frommerriam-webster.com/dictionary}   

ps- here are my 3 favorite videos from mr. kid president:

just kidding, one more:
"i'm broken right now. but i still dance."

his laughter is infectious. i love it.


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment